At Your Service



Thursday, July 12, 2011

It rained on and off all day yesterday. I went to Amy's memorial service in the afternoon at (our) All Saints Church. Amy was a fitness coach at the Y. I didn't really know her well, even though I always admired her spirit. I decided to go to the service because of the church.
The service was very beautiful and the church was packed. It just happened that I sat between two ladies I know and like very well. Cynthia is the hygienist at the dentist office. The dentist, Dr. M, passed away last September at home under hospice care. John always thought Dr. M was "saintly". The other doctor John regarded as "saintly" is Dr. R, the nephrologist.
The other lady, Laurie, used to work at the local YMCA. She left 3-4 years ago to work for Florida Hospital. We liked her very much and kept in touch with her. When John was hospitalized three weeks ago, I was one day going to get something to eat and saw Laurie on the escalator near the cafeteria. She came to John’s room and visited several times. She was out of town last week visiting her daughter and I forgot to let her know that John passed away. She asked about John and was saddened, although not surprised, by the news.
I think it must be John's arrangement to have those two people sitting with me. I am glad that I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment